June 8, 2015, La Floresta
The meeting was called to order at 1:45 pm.
Present: Bill, Doug, Nancy, Shannon, Nicole, Amy, Susan, Lori.
A quorum was declared.
- Bill reported that he and Amy were well-received by the American Legion, Post #7. They have given NCA permission to install a Drop Box for donated items for the NCA Bazaar.
- Doug reports that the website has been updated, he has been working with NCA office staff to assure that student profiles are current.
- NCA T-shirts are on order: 50 assorted men’s / women’s sizes with the NCA logo.
- Doug showed us the finished Drop Box to be installed at the American Legion. He will work on artwork for the lid and front of the box, Amy will present the designs to the Legion for their input, then have the designs printed.
- Lori reports that although sales are still slow, “neat stuff” has been donated for sale at the NCA Bazaar.
- Susan and Nancy discussed various aspects of the procedures for registering students, sponsors and families. Lilia will contact sponsors from the master list by telephone.
- The Prepa en Linea project is moving ahead swiftly. 5000 fliers including the NCA logo will be distributed shortly, banners being prepared also.
- Under this program, it is possible for a student to graduate from High School in two years, rather than the usual four. There are six unused computers at the Wilkes Centre, pllus free computer use available at the Cultural Centre.
- The Wilkes Centre will be shut down and installed in a new building.
- The formal invitations and certificates are finalized. Susan will visit the Education Department personally to deliver the VIP invitations.
- Suggested we source “apples” (perhaps hand-blown glass in Tonala) for gifts for the dignitaries. Probably order 20 to allow for future occasions.
- Need to re-check the number of students and sponsors NCA has.
- Will need a bilingual, formal program for the Graduation Event. Susan has a summary prepared.
- Amy found a printer who can produce NCA mugs for $65 pesos each, order of 20.
- Will we need more NCA “free gift” pens?
- The Graduation Event is on track, and on budget ($3500 pesos).
- The office and exterior will be cleaned up by mothers and fathers volunteering.
- The menu will be gourmet hot dogs (wrapped in bacon) with all the trimmings, chips, macaroni salad. Also jamaica and limonada. Perhaps cake.
- Brief financial presentation: NCA is on track.
- Need a photo of the award presented to NCA by IJAS.
- VIPs include Irma from IJAS, Presidente Municipal Joaquin Huerta, three people from the Education Ministry.
- Unfortunately, her friend has closed the Art Gallery in SJC, however, other fund-raising ideas involving art were discussed.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:15 pm.
Next meeting July 3, 1:30 pm, La Floresta.