President Doug Friend called the April 7, 2016 meeting of the NCA Board of Directors to order at 11:15 a.m. In addition to Doug, the following members attended:
Vice-president, Lana Ehlebracht,
Treasurer, Nancy Alan,
Secretary, Susan Johnson,
Directors-at-Large, Nicole Beeline, Cony Larios, and
Past President, Bill Friend, Past-President.
The minutes of the Annual General Meeting, March 2, 2016, were approved as reviewed on-line. Board members provided signatures to be affixed to the minutes of this meeting, as required for protocolization.
Treasurer Nancy Allan reported the following:
- Income from the Chili Cook- Off was $32,000 MXN.
- Increased donations, streamlining of office procedures, cross-training of staff and out-sourcing of audit services had produced a first-time surplus. Doug Friend moved that surplus funds be used for needed repairs to the Chapala office and support for students whose sponsorships had lapsed. Lana seconded and the motion passed unanimously.
- Letters to sponsors for renewal of support are in process.
- Year-end financials to be posted soon on-line.
- Progress on dispersing the Swentik bequeath.
President and Web-master Doug Friend announced the following :
- Pictures of students´ homes and families will soon be accessible on line to their sponsor or sponsors.
- NCA brochures in Spanish would be available by April 8. He suggested that they and the English version should be placed in ¨waiting areas,¨ such as offices. He added that distribution should be monitored in order to maintain supplies.
- Samples of proposed shirts will be mailed to sponsors for feedback.
- The dates for the next Chili Cook-Off are February 10-12, 2017. Charities involved will be required to participate in the competitions. He volunteered to enter one of his prized margaritas, and Director-at-Large Nicole volunteered her super recipe for chili.
- NCA still has an opening for a Board member. Nancy Allan explained that volunteer Pat Moir has offered to help with NCA events, so the vacancy need not be specifically for events planning. Susan Johnson offered to pursue the recruitment of a person active in the Lake Chapala Society´s Mini-Summits on Financial Aid for Lakeside students.
- There are currently 172 students supported by 110 sponsors.
- A proposed change in the Website would substitute NCA.org.mx for the current address.
Secretary Susan Johnson and Director-at-Large Cony Larios suggested preparing a comprehensive overview of Mexican education as well as local challenges, to be followed by visits to schools and the Jalisco State Education offices. The Board agreed to this presentation at the next meeting, to be held on May 6, 2016, at Mtra. Cony´s School Zone 10 office.
Treasurer Nancy Allan led a discussion of the NCA Graduation Fiesta, celebrating students´successful completion of Primary, Secondary, High School, University and vocational programs and honoring their parents and sponsors to be held July 23, 2016 at the Chapala facility. The menu will feature tamales and aguas frescas.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:35 p.m.