President Doug Friend called the September 24, 2018 meeting of the NCA Board of Directors to order at 1:05 p.m.
Directors present included Doug Friend, President, Lana Ehlebracht, Vice-President,Susan Johnson, Secretary, Nancy Allan, Treasurer, and Directors at Large Nicole Belinne,Cyndi Bosch, and JaneCuster.
The meeting started at 1:10 pm. Present were:
- Doug Friend
- Lana Ehlebracht
- Susan Johnson
- Nancy Allan
- Nicole Belinne
- Cyndi Bosch
- Jane Custer
A quorum was declared.
The Board discussed the September 15, 2018, fund raiser, ‘’Rock the Kasbah.’’
- The event was a success despite having sold 70 of the goal of 80 tickets.
- There were few sponsors in attendance.
- The date, on the eve of Mexican independence, may have been a factor.
- The media coverage was outstanding.
- Secretary Susan suggested personalizing e-mails to sponsors. President Doug agreed that could be done.
The Board discussed the next event to raise funds.
- The board agreed on the Saturday before St. Patrick’s Day, March 16, 2019.
- Treasurer Nancy suggested a venue capable of accommodating up to 150 guests.
- Director-at-Large Jane will chair a committee. Cyndi, Susan, Doug and Nancy will assist.
Treasurer Nancy reported on the progress of the NCA office renovation.
- The project is on hold until paint is available.
- Doug and Nancy will call persons responsible for the job.
- NCA sponsored students will help.
Director-at-large Nicole reported that the Deborah Campbell estate donation is in process.
President Doug reported that new brochures and business cards will be available soon.
Director-at-Large Jane requested information and proposed various actions:
- Requested year-to-date information about the budget, income and expenditures. Treasurer Nancy explained the reporting dates and referred Jane to the Website.
- Moved that office manager Kenia submit quarterly reports to the Board, to include activities and needs. Vice President Lana seconded the motion, which carried by unanimous vote. Kenia will participate in the next Board meeting. The meeting may need to begin earlier to accommodate her work schedule.
- Suggested that thank-you notes be sent to English teachers, auction donors, Bazaar contributors, and the Drishti Center.Jane will write the notes. Members of the Board explained the autonomous status of the Bazaar and the tutoring. Secretary Susan suggested that the American Legion be thanked for their monthly donations.
Secretary Susan initiated a follow-up discussion of an event designed to celebrate and appreciate sponsors, and perhaps recruit new ones.
- The idea first emerged three years ago when Secretary Susan and former Director-at large Shannon considered the possibility.
- The party will be at the garden of the Nueva Posada .
- Nueva Posada owner Michael Eager suggested November 29, from 3:00 to 5:00 pm.
- The party will include gifts, perhaps a package including Christmas ornament apples available at Amazon for a reasonable cost.
- Sponsors will be asked to bring a friend.
- Michael Eager will set up a cash bar.
- Sponsored students will speak and others approved for sponsorship will attend.
- Secretary Susan will invite a guest speaker. Her first choice would be Graciela Orozco, who recently retired after a long and productive career in Relaciones Exteriores and the Secretaría de Educación Pública. Her expertise is USA-Mexico immigration. The government of France recently recognized Graciela with its prestigious ‘Palmas Académicas.’ The Board agreed to invite also career Mexican educator and former Board member Mtra. Cony Larios.
- The Board will seek press coverage of the event.
- The Board will meet with owner Michael Eager at the Nueva Posada on Monday, October 1, at 1:00 pm, to discuss logistics and equipment.
Director-at-Large Cyndi proposed collaboration with the Canadian Legion.
- The Legion does not have an established charity.
- Joint fundraisers and student sponsorship are
- President Doug will describe NCA at the next Legion meeting, Wednesday, October 17, 2:00 pm at Casa Linda.
The next Board meeting will be held on October 22 at 1:00 pm.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:20 pm.