President Doug Friend called the January 25 meeting of the Board of Directors Los Niños de Chapala y Ajijic, A.C. to order at 11:17 am. Members present were
- President Doug,
- Vice-President Lana Ehlebracht,
- Secretary Susan Johnson,
- Treasurer Nancy Allan, and
- Director at Large Nicole Belinne and
- Director at Large Jane Custer.
Directors at large Cyndi Bosch and Dr. Tony Pinto were absent.
President Doug declared a quorum.
Secretary Susan reviewed the Salute to Sponsors/Happy Birthday event held at the Nueva Posada on November 30, 2018.
- The event featured birthday cake, live entertainment, gifts, and the distribution of new business cards and brochures.
- Given the challenging weather conditions, the event was well-attended.
- Two representatives of the Chapala Municipio enjoyed the festivities. Isaac Alberto Trejo, head of the Sindicato Municipal, and Regidora de Educación Mtra. Alicia Carranza Rentería, thanked NCA for the Association’s 40+ years of educational support and pledged collaboration. Secretary Susan will follow up on an invitation to Regidora Alicia to visit the NCA office in Chapala.
President Doug discussed the Chili Cookoff.
- The dates are February 15, 16 and 17.
- NCA will sell beverages, working 2 and ½ hour shifts as follows:10-12:30, 12:30- 3:00, and 3:00-5:30.
- Doug will send an e-mail asking sponsors to help.
- Doug will provide a banner for the NCA vehicle that will participate in the parade and for the booth.
President Doug led a discussion of the next fundraiser.
- The event will be held on March 16 beginning at 4:00 pm.
- The St. Patrick’s Day themed party will be at Doug and Nancy’s residence.
- The Board will sell tickets at the Chili Cook Off.
- Treasurer Nancy will talk to Dr. Pinto about the menu.
Treasurer Nancy described the repairs and improvements to the NCA office. Fixtures will be installed next week.
President Doug informed the Board that the new brochures, letterhead stationery, and business cards are available at the office. The Board concurred that our PhD candidate and a child might be good choices for the cover of new brochures.
President Doug introduced an idea to establish an endowment.
- The project will involve brochures, information on-line, and in the paper.
- Treasurer Nancy will speak with lawyer John Brennen about the legal issues and wording.
Board members introduced the following New Business items:
- Treasurer Nancy advised the Board that a follow-up on the protocolized minutes is needed. She will deal with this and a separate issue with the bank.
- Director at Large Jane distributed information about procedures for writing a mission statement, conduct of board members, and rules of order for a business meeting.
- Director at Large Jane cited issues with student records, the accuracy of the data base and receipts for donations. She will check with Kenia about office-related concerns and request a receipt from the Foundation for Lake Chapala Charities.
- Director at Large Jane questioned the frequency of financial reports.Treasurer Nancy responded that every six months was feasible.
- Given the concerns about office procedures, Treasurer Nancy opined that there may not be funding for an office manager.
President Doug announced the 2019 Annual General Meeting will be on Monday, March 25, 2019, at 1:00 pm in the Chapala office. Treasurer Nancy informed the Board that she will not be a candidate for reelection. She will speak with Karen Lowe about her running for the office.
President Doug announced the next Board meeting will be at 1:00 pm on February 22, 2019.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:20 pm.
Schedules for Chili Cookoff:
Nancy: early shift every day
Jane: second shift every day
Lana: first shift Friday, third shift Saturday, first shift Sunday
Susan: third shift Friday, first shift Saturday, not sure about Sunday